Day Four

5:22 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
The days are somewhat running into each other and most days of the clinic were a lot like the one before. A few things that DO stand out: I saw my first wall spider at the clinic, they are large and are supposed to stay on the wall, also they eat mosquitoes :-) I shed a tear during this experience but God gave me courage to face the future spiders I encountered. At the the clinic, I also encountered my first RAT yes R A T. I was in the lab with Julie, we were facing each other and I heard/felt something fall on my foot, thinking that it was an object Julie had dropped, I asked her if she wanted to pick it up. I lifted my pant leg and the rat ran out! I literally jumped into Julie's arms and screamed bloody murder, we were great comic relief for the nationals! They laughed and laughed, it ran down the corridor past all of them as they waited.
Thursday we treated the teachers in the village, this is their day off of work. There are 6 of them and they each teach 100 students. For all of you teachers out there, let this encourage you on your toughest days! They are wonderful men that LOVE teaching, they all speak French and Yalunka and were so appreciative of our services. One that lives close to the Anderson's, is so sweet! He has a large Goiter.
On Thursday night Julie and I were awakened by Dawn at 10:30pm stating we had a mom in labor, if we wanted to deliver it! I don't even remember climbing down the bunk. We walked off our porch, heading toward her hut and Dawn stepped right onto a snake! we stomped and stomped, it would not die! So we went and got a machete and cut it's head off, now off to deliver a baby! We are definitely in Africa. :-) I could never convey what unfolded in the small hut in Niaya for Dawn, Julie and I. What I can tell you is this; it was beautiful, magnificent and such a wonderful gift from God to us and hopefully that mother. The Matron was present but 2 hours into labor, with the three of us there, she found a spot on the edge of the hut and went to sleep! We were able to assist the mom in a more "American" way. I did a lot of massage, Dawn gave her a soft place to lay and Julie "guarded the gate" (only the three of us will truly appreciate the last part) The only light in the hut was a small fire, until it died, then we relied on flashlights. This would never fly in the States. I'm not going to go into to much detail because, as my friend Jamie said, sometimes when you have experienced something so beautiful and magical, when you say it, it takes something away from it. I will tell you, that it was one of the coolest experiences I have ever had and I will never forget it. This was her 6th baby, it was a boy that weighed approximately 6 lbs. He was born after a set of twins so he is automatically named Sion.
We did not finish and get home until close to 3 a.m. We were on such a high, it did not make a bit of difference the next day.

0 comments: